Better Value Pharmacy offers Non-Sterile and Hazardous Compounding. We offer many different forms of compounded medications, such as solutions, suspensions, capsules, dissolvable tablets, creams, ointments, troches, lollipops, suppositories, etc. We ask for patients to allow a 24-48 hours for us to complete their compounded orders.
Pharmacy Compounding is the art and science of preparing customized medications for patients. Its practice dates back to the origins of pharmacy; yet compounding’s presence throughout the pharmacy profession has changed over the years. In the 1930’s and 1940’s, approximately 60 % of all medications were compounded. With the advent of drug manufacturing in the 1950’s and 1960’s, compounding in the local pharmacy rapidly declined. The pharmacist’s role as a preparer of medications quickly changed to that of a dispenser of manufactured dosage forms. Within the last two decades, though, compounding has experienced a resurgence, as modern technology and innovative techniques and research have allowed more pharmacists to customize medications to meet specific patient needs. Today, an estimated one percent of all prescriptions are compounded daily by pharmacists working closely with physicians and their patients.
In the simplest terms, we help Physicians and Patients solve medication problems:
- Unique medication strengths: A medicine may be available only in one or two strengths. However, your doctor may find that the best dose is not one of those. We can prepare a dosage form that will contain whatever amount your doctor orders. You don’t have to take too much medicine which could cause adverse effects or too little which may not work for you.
- Unique dosage forms: Medicines often are available only in tablets or capsules. But infants and individuals with swallowing difficulties may need a liquid, suppository or other dosage form. We can make these dosage forms to contain the medicines people need.
- Unavailable medications: Pharmaceutical companies may stop making products for which there is a limited demand. If we can obtain the medicine in its chemical form, we can compound it for you.
- Bad tasting medicine: Some individuals will not take a medicine because of bad taste. This is a special problem when a medicine must be taken for several months or years to control a chronic health problem. We can prepare dosage forms in flavors that people like. We have 40 different flavours (from peppermint to orange-guava-melon).
- Allergies: Commercial medicines may contain flavors, preservatives, dyes and binders. If a patient is allergic to any one of these ingredients using that medicine could result in unpleasant or life-threatening reactions. We can prepare medicines that are free of materials to which a patient is known to be allergic.